Updated: Mar 6, 2019
WHAT IS TABLE TENNIS GAME?
Table Tennis also called Ping Pong, is an exciting sport that can be enjoyed by all genders and ages. Table Tennis can be played by either two (singles) or four players (doubles). Whether you are a recreational player or are an advanced player, Ping Pong is a smart choice for having hours of fun!
As defined by Wikipedia, the Ping Pong game consists in hitting a ball back and forth across a table using paddles. A net divides the table and participants play on both sides of the table. The objective of the game is to hit the ball with a Table Tennis Paddle over the net onto the opponent’s side and reach 11 points before your opponent does.
· Someone to play against: Your Opponent
· Ping Pong Paddles / Bats
· Table Tennis Table: any table can work using a retractable net
· Table Tennis Balls
· Net: a retractable net can be used in any home or office table
· Light and flexible shoes and clothing for easy movement of the hand and body.
· Paper and pen to keep the score
WHAT ARE THE RULES OF TABLE TENNIS? | HOW DO YOU SCORE?
1) Agree who will serve first, you can flip a coin if you wish.
2) Serve: The ball is tossed up high and hit with the paddle. It must touch your side of the table (PING) and then must touch your opponent`s side for him/her to strike back (PONG). In doubles, the serve is diagonal, hitting on the right side of the table of both teams.
If the ball hits the net upon serving, you get to serve again. Alternate serves every two points.
3) Return the ball: Let the ball bounce on your side and hit the ball back to your opponent side. You will win a point if your opponent fails to return the ball to your side of the table or when the ball hits the net instead. If the ball hits the net upon a return but goes over to your opponent´s side, the ball is still in play.
4) Outsmart your opponent: There are several techniques that can be used to trick and beat your adversary. As ball travels at high speed, players must react quickly. Speed and spinning of the ball techniques are essential for changing the ball´s path and leaving your opponent with limited options to strike back.
5) The winner of a game is the first to get 11 points. The game can also be played to 15 or 21 points upon agreement. There must be a gap of at least two points between opponents at the end of the game, so if the score is 10-10, the game goes into extra play until one of the players has gained a lead of 2 points. You win a match by winning best 3 of 5 games.
6) You will score a point if any of the following occur:
a) If your opponent serve hits the net or if balls goes over the net but off your table´s side.
b) Your opponent makes a return, and the ball hits the net.
c) The ball bounces twice on your adversary´s side of the table or the ball is hit twice by your adversary´s paddle.
d) Your rival touches or moves the table tennis table.
THE INTERNATIONAL TABLE TENNIS FEDERATION (ITTF)
Founded in 1926, The International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) Is the International Sports governing body for all Table Tennis Associations. The role of the ITTF includes establishment of rules and regulations as well as to look for technological improvement for the Table Tennis sport. It is also responsible for organizing international competitions such as the World Table Tennis Championship.